Welcome to Year 3’s Class Page
The year ahead brings lots of exciting learning.
The Autumn topic is pollution and Year 3 will be getting eco-conscious with Michael Morpurgo’s ‘This morning I met a whale’ story book.
The children learn about climate change and what they can do to prevent it by following the principles of reduce, reuse and recycle. The children make their own recycled paper. They will tidy up our local area and promote a litter free zone as part of their learning.
The story topic tends to spark a fascination with whales and the children will research facts about various whales, measured and compare their lengths on the playground and use this as a stimulus for writing.
Science in the autumn term is plants and life cycles. Children will be looking at the different parts of plants and the job they have in keeping the plant healthy. They will learn about photosynthesis and the life cycle of a plant. Children will set up several comparative experiments during science this term. For example, the melting of ice and comparing the growth of plants in different temperatures. Also, water transportation using flowers and food colouring.
Year 3 will have 30 minutes of Guided Reading every day. They will have a focus book which is aimed at their personal reading level. They will learn to read with increasing fluency and expression, whilst completing comprehension activities both written and oral. They will have small group time with either the teacher or the Learning Supervisor at least once per week.
In maths, children will understand the value of digits in numbers up to 1000 and looking closely at the four calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) using a range of mental methods.
Information to Remember
- Reading at least 4 times a week. Reading diaries will be checked regularly during the week so all children are expected to bring their reading book and diary every day.
- To use Math’s Whizz for 45 minutes a week.
- Maths homework which will help your child to revise/build upon learning in school.
- Weekly spellings
Autumn Term Topics
- Pollution and global warming.
- The water cycle and plants.
Spring Term Topics
- Titanic and WW1.
- Forces and magnets.
Summer Term Topics
- Ancient Egypt.
- Europe/wider world.
- Animals Including Humans
Our books for this year:
- This Morning I Met a Whale by Michael Morpurgo.
- Dolphin Boy by Michael Morpurgo.
- Kasper Prince of Cats by Michael Morpurgo.
- The Amazing Tale of Ali Pasha by Michael Foreman.
- Tomb Quest Book of the Dead by Michael Northrop.