Welcome to Year 2's Class Page
The Year 2 curriculum contains several different History and Geography learning topics across the year that are linked to a variety of texts.
Autumn – Geography and History of ‘The Potteries’ and a Local Area Study
Spring – The Great Fire of London and the British Isles
Summer – Exploring Our World: Christopher Columbus and Continents and Oceans
Some of the books studied this year, include:
- A variety of texts by Julia Donaldson starting with ‘What the Ladybird Heard’
- Traditional tales with a twist starting with ‘Cinderella’s sisters and the Big Bad Wolf’ by Lorraine Carey
- London’s Burning by Pauline Francis and Alessandro Baldanzi
- The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark by Jill Tomlinson
- Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe
- Mr Majeika by Humphrey Carpenter
A variety of poetry and non-fiction texts will also be covered.
For Example: In Flanders Fields by John McCrae, Day and Night Animals by Karen Rice Evans and What is Pink by Christina Rossetti.
Each term the children in Year 2 will have the opportunity to attend at least one trip linked to their learning. For Example: a local area walk in the Autumn term and Ford Green Hall in the Spring to learn about the Great Fire of London.
Expected Home Learning in Year Two
- Read at least 4 times a week
- Math’s Whizz for 45 minutes a week (this can be done in short blocks of 10/15 minutes)
- Weekly spelling homework
- Each half term a choice of home learning projects will be sent home
Year 2 SATs
In May of Year 2, the children will take Maths and Reading tests. There are 2 papers for each and an optional Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling test. The children’s writing is assessed by their class teacher based on class work.
Once the children have taken the tests, they are marked by the class teacher and form part of the ‘Teacher Assessment’. In June, the school sends a ‘Teacher Assessment’ to the Local Authority. The school does not need to report the test scores to the Local Authority, they are used by the teacher within school only. Parents will receive the test score and the ‘Teacher Assessment’ in their child’s final report.
There will be a parent information meeting held before the SATs for all Year 2 parents to ask questions and look at previous tests. The SATs tests are nothing to worry about and all children in Year 2 are told as such throughout the year. We tell them it is a chance to ‘show off’ their learning to their teacher!